The mixed-use social housing project at 1630 Lawrence Avenue developed in partnership with the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd and several social agencies.
Like many churches in Canada, the Good Shepherd possessed a property in dire need of repair and a dwindling congregation. The Church was able to leverage its land equity, CMHC Housing programs, and support from charitable community organizations such as the Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy (OFCP) and Bellwoods Supportive Housing, into a vision for the future.
The new development is an eight-story, post-tensioned concrete structure with below grade parking. It includes a 283 square metre church for the Good Shepherd, 100 market-rent apartments for seniors and people with special needs, as well as 403 square metres of office space for the OFCP and 2,434 square metres of space for community outreach. The apartment includes one, two and three-bedroom units, as well as 27 special needs suites with adaptable washrooms and kitchens.
1630 Lawrence was completed by our predecessor firm, Mekinda Snyder & Weis Architects.